Sunday, September 25, 2011

Interview with Amanda Colville of Mangle Prints

Biography

I live in King’s Lynn, Norfolk in the UK, with my husband and three children. Norfolk is a wonderful county, with wild stretches of un spoilt coastline and rural landscapes to inspire, so it’s not surprising that there is quite a large community of artists and printmakers living here. I’m based at home at the moment, which allows me to juggle my work with the family. I’ve been exhibiting locally for the last couple of years and selling in local galleries and shops too.

Why do you like to print?

There are so many elements to printmaking that I enjoy. There’s something magical about creating a new lino plate and printing it for the first time, never quite knowing what you will get! The whole process of producing a print means that you have to apply a methodical approach to your work, something I really enjoy, plus the challenge of working out how to get the image you want. The whole process can become very addictive!

What is your favorite print medium and why?

Due to space and resources, it’s currently more convenient for me to produce relief prints, mainly lino prints. I love experimenting though, and often sometimes I will add other materials to my pieces, including paper, text, ink and wax. Layers of hot wax are added to the prints, creating a glass-like, translucent effect. I’ve created all sorts of pieces from this technique, including garlands made from paper, print and wax. 

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

When I stopped work about three years ago, I attended a printmaking evening course. I loved the whole process so much, that I decided I wanted to continue at home. Not having the space or money to buy a traditional press, I found an old washing mangle (wringer) that I could use as a press.  Since then I have been constantly been experimenting and working to develop my work-still using the mangle! I love to talk to other printmakers too, to learn and listen to their own experience and techniques.

What inspires you?

Living in quite a rural part of the world, the obvious inspiration is the landscape and environment around me. But ultimately I’m drawn to line and pattern, and that can come from anywhere, from a simple piece of wood grain to the countryside around you, the list is endless. I’m also drawn to the beautiful natural patterns and elegance of birds and plants.

How do your promote your work?

There’s a great deal of on-line resources that you can use to promote your work. I have a blog, Facebook and Twitter account, which are great, not only for promoting your own work, but for meeting and discovering other artists and printmakers.  Flickr is another useful tool too.

Tell us one random fact about yourself 

I’m also the proud owner of three ex-battery chickens- Betty, Pandora and Florence, who currently reside in my back garden!

Check out Amanda's Etsy Shop and Blog