Sunday, August 14, 2011

Interview with Cassie of Dark Days

Biography 
Right now I'm living in the New York area, but I will be moving to Philadelphia soon. I went to college in that city, and once I left, I found that I really missed it! Philly is a great place to be if you're an artist in terms of community. Plus space is fairly cheap there; I feel like it has the potential for lots of exciting things to happen. A few artist run galleries and the like have popped up in recent years. And of course, the Institute of Contemporary Art and the museum at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art have some of the best shows, not to mention that they're totally beautiful spaces for viewing art.

Why do you like to print?
I'm a very process-oriented artist, and printmaking gives me the freedom to explore the different avenues that pop up during the act of making a print. Most of my prints on paper are monotypes. I like that I can take a structured beginning and go in several different directions and achieve varied results. I also do commercial printing, like t-shirts and the tote bags that you find in my Etsy shop. Printmaking is really versatile in its application more so than other mediums. I find that it helps me bridge the gap between making fine art that may never get seen, and making more commercially accessible (and sometimes wearable) work.
What is your favorite print medium and why?
While I mainly use silkscreen for commercial projects, I would actually say that lithography is my favorite print medium. I had the chance to study with a very talented Tamarind master printer who showed me the amazing range and richness that lithography has to offer.  It is more challenging than silkscreen and definitely requires finesse, but the results are very rewarding.
How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?
I have been printing seriously for about 4 years now. I started off by making works on paper, and now I mainly do textile printing. Through a lot of practice and trial and error, I finally have a good handle on the printmaking processes that I'm using, and I can get more complex results. Printmaking is really addicting; the more I learn, the more I want to experiment!
What inspires you?
My interests are somewhat all over the place and I could probably go on forever about the things that I like, but one thing I know for sure: I'm a music fanatic. I like all sorts of different music, from obscure female-fronted punk rock groups to 70's soul to Bollywood steel guitar music. I couldn't make art without it! I also draw inspiration from science fiction films and books. I feel like the true aim of good science fiction is to get to the essence of the human experience; its a very existential genre. I also enjoy art and experiences that contain an element of mystery, such as unfamiliar landscapes, ancient artifacts, myths, and so on.
How do your promote your work?
I have to admit that I don't do much promoting. I am fairly new to Etsy. I do hope to fill up my shop with my different print-related pursuits, but as of now I am more concerned with making my items and exploring different ideas. I believe in living a very curated life, and my Etsy shop is just my way of offering my aesthetic to the world.
Are you working on any particular projects now? 
I do have one other project I am involved in besides Dark Days. Its called Clones and Fashions. Clones and Fashions is a web-based media platform that focuses on past and present punk subculture. I am involved in the merchandise and podcast aspects of this project. Our website is set to launch later this month. We are always on the lookout for fellow punk enthusiasts to feature playlists by, so drop us a line if you have something you'd like to share!
Tell us one random fact about yourself
I have been skydiving. It was a true eye-opening experience.

Check out Cassie's Etsy Shop and Tumblr Site



1 comment:

Jaime said...

Check out more of Cassie's work here: clonesandfashions.com

she does an excellent job screen printing! nice little lady to boot!