Sunday, August 28, 2011

Interview with Anne Silber

Biography
I was born and raised in New Jersey, then received a BFA from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, where I was first introduced to printmaking. I have lived in the Boston area for my entire professional career, working almost exclusively in the medium of limited edition serigraphs.

Why do you like to print? 

For reasons that are difficult to articulate; when I was introduced to printmaking in general and serigraphy in particular, I found myself quite captivated by the idea of creating multiples of my art, seeing them lined up on the drying racks. I also like the fact that prints are somewhat more “democratic” than some other media in that they are real, handmade artworks that are affordable to more of the population. All of my editions are hand-printed by me in small editions.
 
What is your favorite print medium and why?

Serigraphs (silkscreen prints), definitely.
I like the versatility of the medium, the ability to work with hard edges but soft,
transparent colors and the visual blending of colors that give an appearance much like
watercolors. I enjoy working within the limitations of hand-cut stencils (rather than
photo-stencils) and I also like that while working on an edition you see the works as
they will be, not with the image reversed as with etchings or lithographs, for example!

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I started printing in the 1970’s. I think as time has progressed I have become very comfortable with my medium and its possibilities: exploring light and shadow, reflective and translucent
surfaces and other technical and stylistic challenges. When I look at a potential subject
now, I can instinctively visualize how it will evolve in layers of transparent color.
 
What inspires you? 

I work primarily in the realm of still lifes and landscapes. In both
genres I love working with color relationships and the effects of light and shadow. A
still life may take shape from a particular favorite object or interesting color
combination; my landscapes have been inspired both by my love of foreign travel and
local New England scenes -- especially in our colorful autumn.
 
How do your promote your work?

I market my work aggressively and make LOTS of phone calls (and yes, it can take a ridiculous amount of time)! Over many years I have created a market for my artwork in the entertainment industry, for use on the sets of many feature films and TV series. I also sell my work to corporations, hospitals, residential clients -- almost anyone is a potential customer. As I mentioned earlier, the fact that prints in general sell for less than paintings helps in many cases (though of course, the not-so-healthy economy makes everything more of a challenge).
 
Are you working on any particular projects now? 

At the moment I’m working on a landscape of the Andes, inspired by a recent trip to Peru.
 
Tell us one random fact about yourself

Years ago I qualified to be on “Jeopardy!” (I passed their test, but was then disqualified to be on the show, due to the fact that my brother worked for a TV network at the time). How’s that for random?!



No comments: