Sunday, June 26, 2011

Interview with Philippa Jones of OmniArt

Biography

Originally from the UK, I studied Fine Art and gained an MA in interactive Art and Design at University College Falmouth. I am now living in Newfoundland Canada and while I don’t have a regular job, I am trying to make the most of it by being as Artistically productive as my procrastinating allows me.

Why do you like to print?

I like to Print because while my hands are busy in the process of printing, my mind is free from inconsequential thoughts to wander, imagine and muse upon other possibilities.

What is your favorite print medium and why?

Intaglio. It has an eerie edge to it, an aged look. It’s like magic seeing what will come out of the acid. It also allows me to combine drawing with painting in the way I apply aquatint or wipe the plate. I like how I can experiment with variations on the same fundamental drawing on a plate by adding or removing ink.

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I have been printing for just over two years. I worked for a year as a screen printer and then in Aug 2010 a good friend of mine taught me how to do etchings at an Art Festival and I haven’t looked back. I am really enjoying making prints through copper etching and Aquatint. Now that I am comfortable with the process I am looking forward to loosening up my drawing style and introducing a little more fluidity and intuitive mark making to my prints.

What inspires you?

Rebellion, the Romantics, Relational art, sublime landscapes and awe inspiring nature, experimenting with materials, games, art shops filled with all that potential material, mystery, aspiring to improve, those conversations  you have with someone on your wavelength and you push a concept and the capability of your brain to think that far, then further; creative people working around me; the hope that through my work I might inspire someone else, just one person would make it worth it.

How do your promote your work?

I try to get involved in as many art adventures as possible, the more people I meet the greater the inspiration and the more exposure my art gets. Now I have a body of work I am looking forward to applying for more exhibitions, residencies and competitions.
I have a blog, an Etsy shop and a facebook page dedicated to my art making. In Newfoundland I am represented by The Leyton Gallery of Fine Art. Mostly I rely upon word of mouth and the support of the awesome St.John’s art community. 

Are you working on any particular projects now?  

This summer I will be a visiting artist at St.Michael’s printshopSt. Michael's Print Shop, I am planning to make a series of mezzotints from footage I make of Moths flying towards the camera.  I am also preparing for a show in January 2012 at The Rooms Provincial Art gallery on Contemporary Romanticism in art that will involve my interactive installations and stop motion animations from prints.

Tell us one random fact about yourself 

Every night I dream about sharks.

Philippa's Etsy Shop and Website

No comments: