Sunday, June 12, 2011

Interview with Christopher Sheek of Sheekart

Biography
I received my BFA (in painting) from Indiana University. After graduation, I moved to Silver City, New Mexico with two artist friends and we painted landscapes in the Gila National Forest. This is when my art really became focused on nature.... sky, clouds, birds, trees, mountains, the moon. Two years later, I moved to St. Petersburg, Florida, and it was here I began exploring relief printing. It is now my medium of choice.

Why do you like to print?

I thoroughly enjoy the whole process. Coming up with the idea, sketching it out. Deciding on the colors. Rolling up my sleeves and going to work. It’s a very physical medium. Then comes the moment when I get my first look at the print, and it almost always looks different than I thought it would. For all the forethought, preparation, and precise work that goes into it, I love how it always surprises me in the end.

What is your favorite print medium and why?

The only medium my time and resources have allowed for up to this point is relief printing. I would love someday to experiment with others, especially screen printing. But I think I would still call relief printing my favorite. It is a very simple and direct way to create graphic, bold art.

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I’ve been printing off and on for the past 8 years. I would like to believe my work has improved, but aside from the art itself, the biggest difference is that now I feel much more attentive to the entire process instead of rushing to get to the final unveiling. Now I enjoy all the steps that go into creating the finished piece. I take my time and allow for more interaction with the materials and the emerging image.

What inspires you?

Hundreds of  different things. Art books. Watching the wildlife in the back yard or when I’m walking the dog. Etsy printmakers. Classical and jazz music. Good coffee.

How do your promote your work?

I count on the kindness of strangers.

Are you working on any particular projects now?  

Right now I’m recreating some works from several years ago. I lost the blocks!

Tell us one random fact about yourself

I’m a voracious reader. Anything from Stephen King to Stephen Hawking.

Check out Chris' Etsy Site

2 comments:

Martha Knox said...

Really beautiful work. I, too, am a fan (and creator) of relief prints with cat. And I especially love images that have such a strong impact with economy of color, line, and shape. Glad I to got to read this interview.

Marissa Buschow said...

Ooh, lovelovelove your work. I'm definitely adding several of those to my when-I'm-not-unemployed wishlist!