Sunday, May 8, 2011

Zoe Badger of Zebedee Print

Biography

I am a graduate Textile Designer who studied in Manchester (UK) and worked as a fashion knitwear designer for 10 years, prior to becoming a printmaker. My background in design has helped me appreciate the interplay of pattern and colour.  I am based in Buxton, a small Victorian spa town in Derbyshire, England.

Why printing? 

I spent a lot of time in the print department when I was at Art College and loved the smell of the ink, the sound it makes when it is rolled to the correct consistency and the results of the print process. The variations are limitless and it is only the restrictions you inflict on yourself that rein you in.

What is your favorite print medium and why?
I have explored many different types of print techniques, but always return to linocut, it is my favorite! There are many aspects of it I love, like the carving process – which is very therapeutic – the excitement as each colour is printed and the print image comes together.

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved? 

I have produced prints for years, but in terms of selling my work to the general public it has been about two years. My work has evolved from small scale single colour prints for cards, to larger more elaborate multicolour designs. I have recently inherited an old flat bed roller print press that came over from Holland. This has enabled me to create up to A3 size work. Though using this press is a huge learning curve as it has a will of its own.

What or Who influences your work?  

Nature and architecture are my biggest influences. I like to use artistic license in order to create my compositions, which often involves mixing up the scale and juxtaposition of elements within it.
Other printmakers always fascinate me too, past and present.  
 
How do your promote your work?  

I have two online shops that I constantly update and add to. I am active at contemporary craft fairs in my local area and sometimes further afield if I get invited to exhibit elsewhere. I also sell through galleries across the UK.

Any good printing tips or funny printing stories (or both??) 

Basically lose yourself to the print medium and see what happens!   

Check out Zoe's Etsy Site.


2 comments:

Atelier Conti said...

Such nice work Zoe! I love the spirit of your prints.

lisa stubbs said...

I love Zoe's work, so talented, lovely interview, I enjoyed reading :) gorgeous prints:)