Sunday, May 29, 2011

Interview with Kari McDonald – The Paper Button Press

Biography

I am a recent graduate of a BFA in Printmaking from Northern Illinois University. I live with my husband (and no dog yet) in Rockford, IL where I've been born and raised. "Natives" tend to hate Rockford and want out as soon as they graduate high school. But they usually come back within a year or two. We are the most critical of our own city, but I've learned to give it more chances. I'll be here awhile, if not forever. The downtown area is where I want to contribute more of my artistic abilities. Who knows? Maybe my husband and I will open a gallery/studio down there! That would be awesome. For now, find me at local shows in the downtown area and surrounding communities.

Why do you like to print?

I don’t like to print, I LOVE to print! I am very detailed oriented and love all the processes involved to get that gorgeous etching or layered woodblock print. Printmaking is very physical and feeds my inner artist more so than any other medium I have tried. The community within printmaking and all the collaborative efforts make it even more awesome.

What is your favorite print medium and why?

My favorite medium is woodblock printing. The intense manual labor makes it that much more therapeutic and rewarding. I also really enjoy copper plate etchings because of the line quality and all the possible textures I can create with the process.

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I have been printing since high school with a little introduction from my soon-to-be father-in-law at the time. He earned his M.F.A in Printmaking from Northern Illinois University, which is even more ironic. Since then I fell in love with it and it was always in the back of my mind to pursue. Psychology, Nursing, and Art Education got in the way, but then I knew I just had to follow what I absolutely loved. And finally, 5 ½ years after that introduction to printmaking with my father-in-law, I was an official Printmaker.
Previous themes include spirituality and physical properties of the soul. I'm looking forward to working with new themes.

What inspires you?

Deeper meanings and purpose within each person inspire my work. I am a spiritual person, but I do not necessarily expect my audience to be of the same spirituality. My prints cause any person to question their inner thoughts, feelings, and bring about a spiritual evaluation. I want my audience to discuss the difficult issues in their lives and to discuss the difficult questions of life and death. I know, heavy right?

How do your promote your work?

Social Media. That seems to be all people are talking about nowadays. I’d have to agree with them. But there is still a disconnect with older generations that most likely have the money to buy real artwork. So, you just have to keep doing art shows. Join art guilds and arts councils. Get on their websites with bios and pictures.

Are you working on any particular projects now?  

I am currently working on my Collage-a-day-project while I figure out a basement printmaking studio (which I hope to be totally non-toxic and mostly “sustainable”). Check out my progress on my blog !

Tell us one random fact about yourself 

I am married to my sister’s husband’s brother. And yes, that’s legal!

Thanks for reading and remember there are 5 sides of a spatula to keep clean, not including the handle!

Kari's Etsy Shop and Facebook Page

No comments: