Sunday, November 22, 2009

Printsy Interview - Mandy Laschon


Website: mandylaschon.com
Etsy: mandymayl.etsy.com

Brief Bio
Human culture is like folklore ever changing and ever forgotten, replaced by something newer and better or even just different. The forgotten, the replaced is what I find compelling; to dig up the past with its richness and understand its roots. Words, icons, and beliefs are just some of the ideas that hold such tradition from which to pull concepts that I relate.

I find myself listening to phrases very literally, in everyday conversation. As humans we have made metaphors into figures of speech. For one to say “ push the envelope” doesn’t mean to find an envelope and to push it; everyone knows that. By illustrating our creative forms of speech and phrases we shed new light on what the words mean. The idea of taking phrases literally has led me to seeing symbols or iconography literally, as well. The image of an animal or object can have many literal meanings, and even more captivating symbolic meanings. Through the years we have lost the symbolic meanings and in some cases gained new and different ones.


How did you get started in printmaking?
I went to college for a Fine Arts Degree but they didn't offer an emphasis in Drawing so I took a printmaking class and fell in love with it. My drawing/printmaking professor help me along my relationship with printmaking.

Describe where you work.
I work in an alcove of my home, a dormer window to be exact and it is a cozy creative place.

What's your favourite printmaking process?
I have a heart for intaglio, but it is easier for me to do linocuts at home.


What's your creative process for any given print? (eg. sketch first? Pre-planned or free-form?)
I listen to music or read, sometimes just a phrase pops into my head and the image grows from that.

What do you enjoy most about printmaking?
All the tedious time consuming processes.

What's your least favorite part of the process?
I know the least about lithography my master professor was a traditional printmaker.

What are your inspirations (other artists, people, places, events, etc.)?
All music, my Catholic faith, and books.


How has your work changed and evolved since you started?

I have since college read more about traditional printmaking and now my work in echoing a less contemporary look.

Recently I have spent some time as a missionary in Honduras. This beauty in the people's true true faith when they have nothing is amazing. This will shape my art in the future. The heart of the people that will give you everything when they have nothing. The hope they have when it truly seems hopeless. Maybe even the colors and images in thier art.

How do you get past creative slumps?
I draw little silly illustrations, and listen to more music

How do you promote your work?
I have a website, I use ETSY.com and I submit to art exhibitions and publications several times a year.


Any other comments or advice for others who want to try making hand-pulled prints?
Read all the old books in the library about printmaking they have the BEST advice.

No comments: