Sunday, November 8, 2009

Printsy Interview - Jessica Roskoski

strawberrypeopleBlog: strawberrypeople.blogspot
Etsy: strawberrypeople.etsy.com

bio:
I was born and raised in NJ, just a few miles outside NYC. I grew up in a small town that consists mostly of Polish folks. I am Polish too, I even speak it a little. I have no formal training in art, but it has never stopped me. I love learning new techniques! I live with my boyfriend and cat in Berkeley, CA. I've been living in the bay area for a couple of years and love it!

How did you get started in printmaking?
I got started printmaking about 1 year ago. When I was in high school we carved these large blocks of linoleum. I swear, half the kids in the class had to go to the nurses room to bandage up their hands. Everyone kept jabbing themselves with those sharp cutting tools! I carved a drawing I did of Bjork and printed it onto a watercolor painting I did. I never did much with it since then. But I saw a linoleum block in the art store and thought why not! So I carved up my first block and have been hooked since!

strawberrypeople
Describe where you work:
I have two jobs. #1 is a real job... I work in an office as an assistant. It's a large building with these fantastic views of the Bay & Golden Gate Bridges. My #2 job isn't really a job it's my life. I create, paint and carve in my apartment! It's a small apartment, but I have a nice little desk set up. I love it!

What's your favourite printmaking process?
Presently I only use linoleum blocks. I have yet to try out another form of printmaking... but I can't wait to try!

strawberrypeople
Describe your process:
My process is very preplanned. I sometimes sit for hours and hours perfecting a drawing. When I finally have something I'm satisfied with I transfer the image to a block and get carving! I prepaint all my paper, so that takes awhile to dry. I mix my inkblock paint and get to printing!

What do you enjoy most about printmaking?
I love to see one image reprinted in so many different colors. I always found it neat that I could feel so differently from one print to the next. To me it seems like a great way to experiment with color.

strawberrypeople
What is your least favourite part?
Cleaning the paint off my roller.

Describe your inspirations:
I am inspired by: sacred geometry, Islamic & Native American art, op art, optical illusions, Bridget Riley, color and nature.

Describe how your work has evolved:
Oh I am still evolving and have far to go! I am now a much more patient cutter. At first I'd want to rush through the cutting of a block because I was too eager to get it printed up. But I have learned my lesson --- I've made some mistakes that could have been easily avoided. Hours of work ruined is certainly a great way to learn your lesson!

strawberrypeople
How do you get over creative slumps?
If I have a creative slump, I just hop on over to another project. Maybe paint, draw, sew... Sometimes I just need to step away. We all go through this type of thing. I just try not to get all hung up on it and wait for it to pass!

strawberrypeople
Describe how you promote your work:
I don't do much to promote my work. I have a blog, give prints to family and friends, I recently started a fan page on facebook. This is something I am working on.

Any advice?
My only advice would be to keep on creating! Do what you love! Try new techniques! And have lots of patience!

No comments: